Not all acne scars are ones you can see. Although acne is a skin problem, the effects of acne can extend much deeper. For many, acne negatively influences their self-esteem and self-image.
How has having acne affected you?
Are you less confident and more reserved? Do you spend more time (and money) on makeup, or run from family photo-ops? Or has acne not changed the way you feel about yourself at all? Share your thoughts, feelings, and what you do to boost your self-esteem.Share Your Thoughts
- Hey guys my name is mike. Since 7 grade I had really really bad Acne including scars zits whites and blacks. I used to cry myself to sleep and get bullied a lot. I missed school a lot and was down all the time. Time passed and in 10 grade something change. In 2 months ALL MY ACNE DISAPPEARED. That was just amazing no blackheads on my nose no zits no I didn't had a lot of scars because I didn't pop my zits. I dont know how I did it but I know I've been working out for 2 years and going outside and eat alot vegetables. Sorry for my misspeling I'm israeli. I was depressed and now I look amazing. I really didn't made this story up this is real it just gone. I righted this to tell you guys Stay strong and don't lose hopes pray for God and work out. This is what saved me I hope it will work for you guys if someone will find the cure for acne NEVER EVER LOSE HOPE.
- —Guest m
- I really dont care about my acne at the moment, even though my face has ALOT of it. My only worry is that i will have scars for the rest of my life, becouse i have been popping at least 100+ pimples during the last 2 years..
- —Guest asdff
Pretty but damaged
- Many people think I am pretty but I keep saying how can one be pretty with marks all over their faces. They all support me but sometimes I can feel they look at my acne instead of concentrating on what I am talking about. Mom once said "Mira God your face is ruined." My dad took me to a dermatologist. My aunt lives abroad and sends every natural powder to apply and when she comes back she says u still have those. When ever I quaralle with my bros and sis they'll say look at u pimply or u look like "fenesi" this ugly fruite. But I dont care, yes when I look at myself I feel bad and when I see amazing clean face girls I feel weak but I've tried everything but didnt work. I've given up and am now praying waiting for miracles from the most merciful Allah. I feel for those with acne coz I know how bad it feels. But I say lets work with pride and not let anything steal our lives enough. We have acne so let it not interefere with our lives. We are beautiful in our own way people.
- —Guest Mira
Acne affects more then just my face
- I have had acne ever since 6th grade. It wasn't that bad at first, but when high school started, it got so much worse. Even though i may not look the most attractive, i still some how have a beautiful girlfriend. It's so hard to look her in the eye and i get so depressed about it. I told she is free to be with whatever guy she wants because i know you probably don't like my looks and you could do so much better, but she says she looks past all that. I know how it feels to be sad, have a low self esteem, and no confidence all just because of acne but to every guy or girl who suffers from acne just hang in there... It will be okay.
- —Guest Zak
Been sufering for 10 years now
- I started getting acne when i was in 7 grade since than nothing has changed. My face is full of big holes especially on my cheeks :( Some one told me that my face looks like moon full of craters. I still cant 4get this comment and it hurts me. i have cried myself to sleep everynight. Nuthng works for me. I have tried almost everything :-( guess i have 2 live this way forever.
- —Guest Sensen
Acne is horrible
- I had acne since I was 7th standard. At that time it was ok but as time went by it became worse and worse. I am on 9th now and Im 16 I still have acne and it has created some holes too and scars as well... I hate looking myself on mirror. Why God doesn't listen our prayers.. why did he created such a monstery thing... I lost all my self confidence and all... I wish God listen our Begging of freedom from acne and live life happily like others ...
- —Guest Nelson
Its all good.
- In the past 3 months i developed severe nodule acne (a very serious and painful form of acne that forms deep in the skin) and it has been the hardest time of my life. In the first few months that i had it i was in so much pain that every day all i could do is sit in my bed, walking was too painful to do so i was loosing weight quickly. I was loosing sleep each night because i would wake up each morning to another horror whenever i lifted my shirt up and saw all of the dried blood that gathered around my neck and chest area. However, quite recently my parents took me to a dermatologist and they prescribed me acutane and it has been working wonders. Im now in perfectly healthy conditions and my acne is slowly dissapearing leaving only scars in their wake. Its been hard and i wanted to give up most of the time but throughout it all i stayed strong. No matter how hard it is guys, don't give in.
- —Guest Camden anderson
Hold your head high!
- I hate acne and have deep scars on both cheeks. It sucks! However I don't give a crap what others think and I never hear any negative comments from mean or nosy people! Stay strong!! Yes I envy those clear skinned people but I have long thick blonde hair and lovely large green cat eyes. I focus on those! I was a high school and college cheerleader with a great smile--I continue to be the one who helps others and keeps her head up! it's okay to feel mad about this disease but it is not your fault! Smile at others, listen to their problems, serve the blind and help the disabled. You will be thankful for your vision and wholeness and stop whining over stuff you can't control! You are beautiful!
- —Guest June
- I've always had tiny pimples ever since I was 12. It got worst when I started High School. I have real bad acne and my skin is always so oily and sensitive. I always pop the acne and the acne scar will just stay on my skin forever. If I don't pop the acne it will turn to the reddish brown bump on my face for ages :/ I use make up everyday to hide my flaws, I spend all my money and time on applying make up it really sucks. I get jealous of girls with flawless beautiful natural skin. My self esteem is often low, I have no self confidence at all. When people stare at me, I know they arn't looking how pretty my smile is or how nice my clothes are or how straight my hair is. I know they are looking at my face full of red painful acne. I also don't have the confidence to talk to boys as I think they will judge me by my looks :/ I've also tried soo many products but NOTHING works :( I don't know what to do anymore. It's gotten to the point where I cry my self to sleep everynight
- —Guest Joey Lew
Acne scarred me through middle school
- I started getting a few here and there, in 5th grade. Now im going into 8th and ive seen a dermatologist. Im using this scrub clarasonic and it somewhat works. Ive been using it over the summer for 10 weeks but my scars havent gone at all. Not one of them. In 7th grade i felt so ugly. I never wore my hair up, even if i had a bad hair day which made me look even more ugly. I was the only girl in my grade that had acne on their face, chest and back. Its not fair that all of my other friends have clear, perfect skin. I have really nice skin, but you cant notice it cuz of my acne. Whenever my family goes out in public they'll sometimes say, oh that boy was checking you out. In my head i think, no they werent! They were looking at how ugly i am and my acne! Even if i dont pop one itll leave a scar. Im afraid to wear stylish tops cuz itll have a low cut back/chest showing my acne. Some of the fights with my mom get started cuz of my acne. I feel so helpless. I even cry myself to sleep.
- —Guest guest c
Fourteen and Terrified
- Just a year ago my skin was clear and never broke out. Im almost 15. about a month or two ago, everything went downhill rapidly. my skin just broke out so often, there was a lot of redness and little bumps everywhere. i have strict parents but I sneak out to buy concealer and some light makeup in efforts to hide my imperfections, but to no avail; my skin has always been way too dry and flaky, making the process unbearably useless. ive just moved and i have to go to a different school and try to fit in with a different crowd. at this very minute i could feel a few hard bumps rising from beneath my skin- id be lying if i said ive never had cystic acne before. it started a few months ago and they all left very distinct, visible bumps that are often referred to as 'dormant cysts'. i have had many on my forehead which have healed relatively well. by healing i dont mean disappearing though. they leave ugly brown bumps which havent gone for 2 months. I know exactly what you feel like.
- —Guest Susan
- I have had acne since I was 11. I am now fourteen. At first it started out with just some spots in my chin in sixth grade. By seventh grade a few pimples appeared on my forehead. I just finished eighth grade and now dark marks, Whiteheads, blackheads and pustules are on my cheeks. I have tried a lot of skin product lines: proactiv, Biore, Neutragena. Clean & Clear, St. Ives, and a Rite Aid knock off of Neutragena. I also tried a lot of home remedies like lemon, honey, tomatoes, cinnamon, toothpaste, cucumber, drinking more water etc. it also doesn't help when my sister just stares at my pimples 24/7 . Then she gets ONE pimple and started freakin out. Try having my face for a day. Currently, I'm on epiduo. My mom told me to stop it because its obviously not working and I have too many pimples. I went to my room and cried. I haven't cried over my acne in over a year. I am now at my last straw. If epiduo doesn't work, then all my hope is lost. Lets hope God answers my prayers.
- —Guest Esther
- In HS I had perfect skin, in my early 20s too, but in my late 20s I began to get horrible cystic acne. It swells my eyes shut and sometimes makes it impossible to function even though its only on my face. I have to wear heavy make up to cover it up, though you can still see the scars and pock marks. I spent thousands on laser treatments, chem treatments and antibiotics. After about 6months of painful laser treatments, I finally saw what I thought was the end and I had very few marks left. Then summer came and it all ended. My derm told me I would have to continue these laser treatments for the rest of my life, especially during the summer because the UV rays bring it back out :( Its embarrasing and depressing, I have very light tone skin and I'm in the military so I have to keep my hair pulled back with no way to hide it. I once went to work late and didn't have to time to put on my make-up, one of my co-workers asked me if I got into a car wreck. It really is debilitating.
- —Guest Pam
- i was a very happy outgoing fun loving people person. I loved my body and my face the way i was so content with myself. I had three kids by age 23 and suddenly everything changed my flawless face lost forever. I felt ugly and wanted to hide from the world and anyone who knew me. Im 29 now and feel i have lost ME to this terrible disese that seems to only feed of me in the world i know. I avoid talking to people outside but if it is unavoidable i will keep my head down with no confidence feeling so shame of how i feel i look. Im constantly aware that i probably look hideous and it is extremely depressing. I wont go out often with my partner for fear of flawless perfect girls standing next to me and making me look extra bad. I know this is a big whinge fest but it is truly a nightmare the way it takes over your once normal life and controls your whole being. I hope like hell i can get something to work but i have literally tried whatever i possibly can in vain hopes it will go away.
- —Guest nikki
Sigh at Acne
- I'm 15, and have dealt with acne since I was around 11. I'm a sophomore in high school, one of the brightest years of life. yet acne holds me down. SO much. my acne is really inflamed and bumpy and scarred. I can bawl and bawl about how ugly my skin is, and how much I envy people with flawless skin. at this point I've tried out a lot of products and prescription pills, but nothing has had effect. Im currently on a pill which needs to be taken for about 2 months before any results can be seen, but I'm just so hopeless. I am crossing my fingers so tightly that this will work. my self confidence is at an all time low, because I KNOW people look at my acne and think "ew gross her skin". make up is my only friend, except when my skin is flakey and gross. I can't even talk to my parents without them mentioning how bad my acne is. I need serious help and I'm just so hopeless with this. I know I have a great life, but I can't think straight when I know people are judging me because of my skin
- —Guest Aili