1. Health
Angela Palmer

Retin-A Micro Pump Formulation Can Be Used With Benzoyl Peroxide

By July 16, 2010

Anyone using both Retin-A (tretinoin) and benzoyl peroxide to treat acne has to do double duty -- applying Retin-A in the morning and benzoyl peroxide at night. Using benzoyl peroxide at the same time inactivates Retin-A, making it ineffective.

A new study published in this month's issue of the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology shows that the Retin-A Micro Pump can be effective even when applied along with benzoyl peroxide.

This is good news if you'd rather not have to split up your acne treatments. But, as our About.com Guide to Dermatology reports, your insurance company might not pay for this more expensive option, even if it means less hassle for you.

Do you think the ability to use both Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide at the same time make it easier for people to stick with their acne treatment? Or is splitting treatments into morning and night applications not a big deal? Take the poll.

Source: Parser D, Bucko A, Fried R, et. al. "Tretinoin Gel Microsphere Pump 0.04% Plus 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Wash for Treatment of Acne Vulgaris: Morning/Morning Regimen Is as Effective and Safe as Morning/Evening Regimen." Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, 2010; 9(7):805.

Comments
July 17, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(1) TheResearcher says:

I’m sorry, but using Benzyol Peroxide and Retin A is far, far too harsh for skin. The redness, drying, and general irritation will look almost as bad as acne, and in the long run cause more acne and inflamed skin.

Getting rid of acne is a lot more sustainable with appropriate lifestyle decisions. New studies are showing that high glycemic load diets, sugar, and dairy are all associated with acne. Zinc and Vitamin B Complex pills are both proven to help. Try to fix your melatonin cycle. It’s not super easy, but it is straightforward enough. Check out acneresearch.org for a comprehensive list of lifestyle changes necessary to reduce acne w/o topical bleaches.

July 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(2) Acne Guide says:

I appreciate your comment, as I can see you’re very passionate about acne treatment. And you’re right that there have been studies done showing a correlation between high glycemic index foods and dairy with acne severity.

But Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide are proven acne treatments. True, they can dry the skin and aren’t appropriate for everyone. But they do not cause acne.

These medications are very effective acne treatments for many, many people.

I do like the idea of holistic treatment, though, if only for the sheer fact that it will make you feel better.

August 7, 2010 at 3:30 am
(3) Benzoyl Peroxide says:

I have never used Retin-A. But when I was having treatment I used Benzoyl Peroxide Products only and this seemed to work fine for me. Though I just heard they banned it in Europe?!?

April 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(4) Retin-A Fan says:

The important thing to remember is that the cause (and cure) for acne is NOT going to be the same for all people. Sure lifestyle CAN play a role for some cases, but it doesn’t mean ALL acne is lifestyle related, or that lifestyle changes have the ability to cure all acne. I have acne due to genetics/a family history of oily skin, and severe hormonal conditions I was born with. I have had acne since I was *5* years old. Pre-Puberty.

I don’t consume any dairy products, the mainstay of my diet is fish, beans, olive oil, low glycemic fruits, and vegetables. I try to eat clean and organic. Due to food allergies, I never eat processed or junk foods. Zinc makes my acne WORSE, but I do take B vitamins, Omega 3, and antioxidants, as well as garlic and seabuckthorn (Omega 7) from time to time. I can’t take vitamin c due to a health condition I have. The only supplement that really has made a difference was omega 3 and seabuckthorn. However, it is not known if it is safe to take seabuckthorn for long periods of time.

I have tried natural acne products, expensive acne products, the only thing that has ever worked was prescriptions-Retin A and benzoyl peroxide. They are a miracle for me. This combo has cleared most of my main skin issues and for the first time since age 10, I can leave the house without a face full of makeup and feel beautiful.

Prescriptions sell because they work. Not everyone has a health condition that can be 100% helped with natural or lifestyle changes. Some of us need these drugs. In my case, the only thing I regret is wasting so much money on ineffective products and treatments over the years. I pay less than $30 every couple of months for prescription products that actully make a difference.

Note, Retin A is very strong, your skin will get worse before it gets better. But once it clears, you will be amazed! If your skin can tolerate it, I also highly suggest regular European facials.

January 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm
(5) music hip hop says:

Fantastic issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your publish that you simply made a few days ago? Any sure?

July 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm
(6) brian says:

If you’re using this combination of chemicals the idea is NOT to just slather each of these on with reckless abandon night after night or whatever the protocol is. Yes, these two chemials combined can cause severe skin irritation if you haven’t had prior experience with either. Both just on their own can cause severe skin irritations if caution isn’t exercised. I use the combination stated above and have been very succesful with it. Yes, on occassion I experience the redness, burning, peeling, as decribed but if I do I’ll take a break from either the retin-a or the BP for a night or so. Also, I use very very small amounts of both because like in most cases more is not better, doesnt speed the process along, exaggerates the side effects that will be experieced significantly, and typically frustration and abandonded treatments at which point the patient feels compelled to get behind a keyboard and describe the awful experience had with said treatment, their doctors or prescribers are idiots and don’t know anything, and that these two treatments don’t work at all. The majority of people starting either of these two treatments have to start slowly, have to allow quite a bit of time, especially retin-a to work. Listen to what your skin is telling you in terms of the side effects you’re experiencing! You’ll save yourself a load of frustation. Use the BP in the a.m. and the retinoids at night as sunlight renders retinoids ineffective. I should just note briefly before I get slammed for not saying that I do understand that this treatment will not work for everyone but retin-a and BP are very effective treatments for acne and soooo much more!