1. Health

You know you want to help your teen deal with acne, but you're not sure how. What treatments are best for teen acne? Should your child see a dermatologist? Where do you start?

Don't get overwhelmed. Learn why acne develops, how to choose appropriate products, and protect your child's self-esteem in the process.

How do you help your teen manage acne? Share your tips in the acne forum.

Related Topics:

Comments
November 9, 2008 at 4:40 pm
(1) Dan says:

If you want to help your teenage son or daughter rid themself of acne, you must first stop them from using a sibling’s acne treatment. You need to know that gender plays a big role in acne and acne treatment. It will do no good for your son to use his sister’s treatment, or for your daughter to use her brother’s.

They require a gender-specific acne treatment. I suggest CTRL. CTRL is a new and gender-specific acne treatment that has a separate 2-step system for each gender. As opposed to 3 and 4 step treatments, this one is much easier to fit into your schedule.

Also, it is paraben free. Parabens are potentially dangerous preservatives that have been found intact within breast cancer tumors. Parabens are not something you want your child to be applying to his or her face day after day after day, especially at a young age.

November 17, 2008 at 12:49 am
(2) Joe says:

Dan,
I started out using over the counter acne medications but they just didn’t seem to cut it. I’ve heard a lot of buzz on acne blogs about CTRL so I decided I’m going to give it a shot. I recommend checking out the site, there’s a lot of valuable info. http://ctrlacne.com/male-acne/male-acne-treatment-system.html

November 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm
(3) sarah says:

what causes acnen

December 6, 2008 at 5:18 pm
(4) The Acne Relief says:

I think parents need to check behind their teens more often concerning hygiene. Teens don’t shower like they’re supposed to. Teens don’t eat the right foods. They are addicted to junk foods. Teens don’t keep clean bed sheets and pillow cases. The brothers and sisters may possibly share the same towels and wash cloths. They don’t wash their hands enough and are always touching their faces with dirty hands. Acne boils down to hygiene. I think it’s preventable if parents check behind their teens hygiene more often and stop running back and forth to dermatologists that only prescribe medications to put on dirty faces and bodies.

December 21, 2008 at 9:43 pm
(5) Bri says:

This is a great site — quality information and unbiased — thanks!

I agree with the whole gender differences thing but I’m also concerned about ingredients that are dangerous. What should I avoid?

February 25, 2009 at 12:14 am
(6) thomas says:

The biggest problem facing children these days is thier diet. It’s the primary cause behind acne problems. Having said that, our household eats primarily organic, we all excercise regularly together and are perfect weight for our size. Hygene is also not an issue. However, both my daughter developed some fairly severe acne and we tried all types of remedies. I’m not saying any one is better than another, but we got onto acnevolution and it seemed to be the answer for us. I’m not saying it will work for everyone, but it worked for us.
all the best.
here’s a link to the info

June 10, 2009 at 10:11 am
(7) Peter says:

Am I really at risk using a product that contains Benzyl Peroxide? Also, what is the deal with Parabens?

July 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(8) ajennings says:

Parabens are a type of harmful preservatives that in recent studies have been linked with certain hormone caused cancers (i.e. breast cancer)

July 13, 2009 at 11:20 am
(9) pdkarrera says:

So the skincare products I am using are actually harmful? Is CTRL Skin Care safe?

July 18, 2009 at 11:59 am
(10) ajennings says:

Yes it doesn’t use parabens or BP so it is much better for your skin

July 20, 2009 at 9:47 am
(11) pdkarrera says:

I had a horrible experience with Proactiv. is CTRL gentle? I dont want anything that will burn, dry me out or irritate my skin.

July 20, 2009 at 11:18 am
(12) Jason says:

CTRL is much more gentle than Proactiv. CTRL’s active ingredient (Salicylic Acid) moisturizes your skin as it heals and protects your skin.

July 28, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(13) ajennings says:

Yeah it has all natural ingriedents

July 29, 2009 at 11:18 am
(14) pdkarrera says:

Has anyone tried CTRL? Would you recommend it?

August 2, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(15) ajennings says:

Yeah it works great it cleared me up in less than a week

October 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(16) xuxa says:

My daughter have the acne from a year now .She try everything but could find something to help her .I even went to see a dermatologist whom give to her different cream but it not helps .She still have the acne ,she still use those creams every day ,sometimes her face it is better sometimes worse .And i guess there is nothing it helps ,just maybe go with the time

November 26, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(17) JessSimpson says:

I am 32 years old and have been suffering from VERY oily, acne prone skin since I was a teen. I have tried everything under the sun, proactiv, clinique, accutane, retin a, you name it I did it, but to no avail, I still had break outs and oily skin.I bought the Shielo Complexion Scrub and decided, what the heck, I have nothing to lose. My skin cleared up completely within 2 DAYS people! It’s smooth,clear, and a lot less oily. I will never use anything else again. Thank you Shielo for this face scrub!!!

December 3, 2010 at 6:39 am
(18) Acne says:

I think it a best guide to teens by his/her parents. Parents need to understand that even mild Acne may have a profound impact on the way their teen feels about themselves. Helping with treatment and support can go a long way in protecting and repairing a teen’s self-esteem.

April 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(19) TommyGNL says:

I’m a male in my mid 30s, I had blotchy skin, enlarged pores, acne around my face. =)
I sometimes have no acne, but lately it seems the breakouts have gotten worse and they are getting more frequent. I just wanted a clear face!

After a month of washing with the Shielo Anti-Aging Scrub every night, my pores have gotten smaller and my overall skin appearance has improved. I would say, my skin appears less dull. I’m happy that my over all skin appearance has improved … and I know that as I keep using his, it will get even better.

August 19, 2011 at 11:21 am
(20) Skin Care says:

They require a gender-specific acne treatment.

December 28, 2011 at 7:48 am
(21) stock market says:

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was once entirely right. This submit truly made my day. You can not believe simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

July 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm
(22) Camille b says:

I bought Citrus Clear for my 13 year old who was starting to get pimples around his nose and mouth. The next morning after the first use we could tell a difference. Less pimples and the ones that he did still have were smaller and less red-and this happened overnight. So far this system is working great!

Do not use the Tangerine Tingle though – it irritated his face, but the Citrus Clear face wash did work!

July 23, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(23) fitness quotes says:

I am often to blogging for cash and i really appreciate
your articles. The post has truly speaks my interest.
I’m going to bookmark your website and keep checking for brand new information.

My homepage fitness quotes